Friday 31 December 2010

Make yourself a resolution...

Are you one of those people who used to be into their music but now you just don’t have the time? Perhaps you had kids, or you just find yourself watching TV instead or maybe music these days just sounds a bit crap?



Many people I know fit into this category. They had taste but now find the rare occasion that they do listen to music recycling Massive Attack, De La Soul and Radiohead – the albums they listened to when they were younger.


Undoubtedly, each of these acts produced great music but I’ve got something to tell you – great music is still being made. Like Massive Attack? You’ll probably like the New Gil Scott Heron album. De La Soul? Try Jay Electronica. Radiohead? You’ll probably love These New Puritans.


In a world where real happiness is increasingly unobtainable, music is a way of really lifting the spirits. Taking a little time to sit and listen and seek out something new can be really satisfying as well as being a little bit of ‘me’ time. In the last year or two I’ve played music to friends who have then gone on to buy a CD or two and subsequently report back that they’ve enjoyed getting back into their music again.

In anticipation of the new year I've gone onto Itunes and deleted all the music from my Iphone - a spring clean if you like. The idea being that I'll fill it with new music as I discover it and by the end of December 2011 I'll have a diary of all the wonderful sounds I've discovered in 2011. Life's too short to be listening to all the stuff I've already heard. I've just downloaded my first new album - the Gorillaz album The Fall which was released on Christmas day.


This is the time of year when we make new year’s resolutions. Rather than making the usual broken promises why not make it your pledge to listen to more new music? It will lift your spirits, make you feel young and give us something to talk about. If you don’t know where to start take a comb through this site for ideas starting with my list of the albums of 2010. Who knows, at the end of 2011 you might have your own list!

No comments:

Post a Comment